Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Painting a Garage

As part of our homework we were given a worksheet to calculate surface area.



It has a picture of a garage on it, and it says calculate the amount of paint that will be needed to paint it. The walls will be blue and the doors will be white while the windows don't need any paint. To figure this out I first made a copy of the chart they recommended using. However it really only confused me. So I did it the way I found worked best for me. I started with one side and calculated the area of the rectangular wall (and the extra triangle if the wall had one). Then I calculated the area of the doors and windows and subtracted that from the wall calculation. I did that for all of the sides. Then I added up all the blue amounts and squared it and then I did the same for white.

Here is a video that I found helpful when understanding area and surface area.

No comments:

Post a Comment